Whitehead is a pretty seaside village on the east coast of County Antrim, Northern Ireland and is fairly self sufficient in terms of businesses and services for daily needs, including shops, schools churches and recreation.
It lies almost midway between the bustling town of Carrickfergus with its mediaeval castle and historic harbour and the busy port of Larne. Located at the base of Muldersleigh Hill, at the entrance to Belfast Lough, on the Irish Sea, it lies in a small bay between the limestone cliffs of Whitehead and the black volcanic cliff of Blackhead, with the Blackhead lighthouse on top, marking the entrance to Belfast Lough.
A Victorian Railway village with a well preserved Conservation area, including the Railway Station, Whitehead contains about 1800 households with over 4,000 people and is home to RPSI and CAYC (Railway Preservation Society of Ireland and the County Antrim Yacht Club), as well as being the starting point for the popular seaside walk past Sunshine House and around Blackhead Lighthouse.
Whitehead is about 20 miles from Belfast. On the opposite coast of Belfast Lough, to Whitehead, the Copeland Islands, Bangor and part of the County Down coastline, are clearly visible. On a clear day, it is possible to see the Isle of Man and Scotland.
This is an updated site and has been transferred across onto a WordPress site. More information and archives will be transferred across as time permits.